For our company book club, we recently read Dataclysm by Christian Rudder, which was an analysis of a ton of OkCupid data. Here are some fun facts I learned:
- Apparently I peaked at 21. I will never be more attractive than I was 5 years ago.
- There are a ton of ways to slice and dice seemingly random data.
- Black women get the least number of messages on online dating sites. A true travesty.
- Racial bias when it comes to online dating is due more to cultural beliefs than physical appearance. I’m thinking particularly of the example of a blind person demonstrating racial bias after learning their date’s race.
- Everything you do is being watched.
Those were the main takeaways. That and the fact that I’m doomed, basically an old maid at this point.